May 12, 2012

Spatiality Part 3

Finally, after a barrage of work, I have the possibility to do some own coding and make one more step toward finishing my next app.

So... were are we?

In part 2 I finally managed to export a shape file to Sql Server 2008, this time I plan to export that spatial data to my Azure SQL.

So what to do when you start with something you never done before?

Google!

My first finding was this link. Since I enjoy simplicity the Import and Export Wizard sounded perfect. I've used it countless times before and it has never failed me.

I follow the steps, opens up an ip address to azure and everything works brilliant until I get to the Review Data Type Mapping phase, when the wizard gives me something like this:


Reason? The Import and Export Wizard can't export spatial datatypes...

So time to google again!

This time I found the SQL Azure Migration Wizard.

This tool has a bit of crappy GUI (I use the 125% size on text and it doesn't handle it). But i transfers data using Bcp so I had least hope of getting it to work.

My first attempt crashed, another googling and I realized that I needed to upgrade my SQL Server to service pack 1.

I tried again and this time:



I ran  a query agains the table in SQL Server Management Studio and lo and behold, all is there!

Next up: exposing the data through an azure web service.

PS. If you like sharepoint follow this!

No comments:

Post a Comment